Wednesday, August 6, 2008

sorry elijah...

yesterday i decided to clean elijah's room (which is upstairs). i put him in his crib and put his clothes away. we were having a great time singing and talking (baby talk, of course). i was pretty much done cleaning so i got elijah out and set him down on the floor. then i saw something i forgot on the chair, so i went to grab it. i turned around and was about to grab elijah's hand when i noticed he wasn't there. i knew immediately that he was going down the stairs. he loves stairs. i didn't want to run because i didn't want to scare him if he was already going down, so i walked fast to try to stop him. right when i was about to grab him, he went head first down the un-carpeted stairs! it was the WORST feeling ever! i couldn't do anything. i could only watch him fall. he landed at the bottom of the stairs in the corner, and started wailing. so i picked him up and he just clung to me, crying. it was so sad. he wouldn't stop for the longest time. i was crying, too, because i felt so bad. what was i THINKING setting him down and then turning my back when i KNEW the stairs were right around the corner and elijah is really fast???!! ugh. i wish i could go back. he had a really big bump on his head right away, but other than that he seemed okay. i took him to my sister's to spend the night, though, just in case. i just needed to hear someone else tell me that he was okay.

i feel like i got a glimpse of what my life is going to be like having a child last night. i can do my best to protect him and prepare him for life, but in the end he is going to do what he chooses to do. he's going to make his own decisions, and some of them are not going to be good ones. i'm going to watch him fall many times in his life, but i guess as his mom my job is just to be there to help pick him back up. i need to hold him and love him and try my best to steer him in the right direction. and there are times when i'm going to make mistakes just like last night. i just hope that i can trust God to guide me on how to best parent elijah. i want him to know that it's okay to fall, but when he does, he needs to get up and try again. and i hope he always learns from his mistakes...even though most of us don't the first, second, or third time! having a child is such a huge responsibility. i mean, i knew that of course, but it just hits me more and more as elijah grows older that i need to be careful with what i say around him, how i act around him, and how i treat him and others. i want to be a good example for my baby.

anyway...that's my story! hope you all are having a great week! :)

4 comments:

scraphappy74 said...

Your right, we have to watch them fall. He is a good kid though and with you as parents and God to guide him he will be alright in the end. I am glad he is alright. He seemed to love "stretching" with Hailey last night! Your a good mom, Vikki. So don't beat yourself up too much about it. He is fine and he loves his mommy.

Jessica said...

awe, i bet that was scary! but just remember, there will be lots of times we make mistakes as parents...i always like to think, this probably isn't the worst thing i'll ever to do my son. then whatever it is, doesn't seem so bad! :)

how did you get that picture and stuff? i love the way your blog looks. i need help!!! :)

Kristina said...

Hi Vikki! I enjoyed reading your blog. You seem like such a great mom! I read that your husband will be leaving in November for a year. My husband is supposed to be leaving around the same time for a year also. I know it won't be fun but this should be his last one. You'll have Elijah to keep you busy but I'm sure you know, it will be tough. Last time my husband was deployed I really used that time to strengthen my relationship with God and focus on the important things. So even though it sucks to not have your husband around, you can get some good stuff out of it!
We moved into our house last month. Steven actually left for training 2 days after so he hasn't seen much of it and I've tried to decorate it and make it feel like home as much as possible. Hopefully he'll like it when he gets back.:) If you and the fam ever want to take a vacation NC is a great place to visit! I'm excited to keep up with you on your blog. Have a great day!

The Lantzes said...

HEy I don't know the address. but it across the street from Derry and Janelle's they just finsihed the roof and it is on the opposite side as your house.