Thursday, October 14, 2010

Big Brother


So things are going well here in the Maldonado household! It sure is fun being a family of 4 now! When we first got pregnant, I was worried about how Elijah would adjust to not being the only kid. I was worried that he would feel left out or resent Ali because she was getting a lot of attention. I guess this is one instance where the saying "don't borrow worries from tomorrow" applies. Man...this kid has adjusted wonderfully! He tells me ALL THE TIME how much he loves Aliyah. He always asks to give her hugs and kisses. He shows her toys and gets her blankets if she is fussy. He is always willing to get me things if I am nursing and I forgot to grab something. He loves helping out! I think the 3 year age difference is a great thing because Elijah is at the age where he always wants to help out, and he feels important when he does. He isn't jealous at all of her.


Before we had Aliyah, I read that it's good to make sure that you make time for your older child and try to make him feel just as important as he was before. So, sometimes, if Aliyah is crying at the same time that Elijah asks for help, I'll say "Aliyah, I'm helping your brother really quick and then I'll help you" just so Elijah hears that he is just as important as Aliyah. I think that's been a good thing. Elijah has such a sweet heart, though, that he really doesn't like when Aliyah cries, so he usually doesn't ask for help while she is crying or if he does, he says to help Aliyah first. He is sweet! :)


Anyway, so for those that have wondered how Elijah has adjusted, there it is! It has been a very easy adjustment for all of us! Aliyah is such a good baby. She cries when she's hungry, and that's it. She sleeps so well at night. I go to bed after I feed her around midnight, she will wake up between 4 and 430 to be fed again, then she sleeps til 8 or 9! So, I am getting plenty of sleep! I think it's amazing the difference breastfeeding makes! I formula fed Elijah and he had such tummy problems that he was fussy a lot more often. He had the hardest time pooping. Now that I'm breastfeeding Aliyah, she has absolutely no tummy problems at all! Maybe it's because she's just different than Elijah, but I really think the breastfeeding has made all the difference!


Well, I hope you are all doing great, too! :)

2 comments:

The Lantzes said...

I am so proud of you for breastfeeding her! I know you talked about wanting to try it with your next and I am glad you gave it a shot!!

krissilugbill said...

vikki, you are such a great mom! i mean it. Lij turned out so awesome because you are awesome and Ali is going to turn out awesome too!